Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What I'm working on...

My new project is going to be another 70's style look! The pants are inspired by 30's flare pant style from the beginning, but patterns for that, as you can imagine, are not so easy to find... This time i will do the flare pant and a (very small) blouse/jacket. Both my fabrics I FOUND! Someone had left a whole plastic bag of fabrics by the recycling containers outside my old appartment when I lived there - Of course I took the bag! Most of the fabrics were bits and pieces left over from other projects so to make these garments I needed all my old improvising skills when it comes to altering patterns and using the fabric in a very economic way. No wasting here :)

Here are some pics from laying out the patterns and doing the cutting. The plan was to use Simplicity 6193 for both the pant and the jacket...


...that did not work... so, pants only.


Next problem: Blue fabric turned out to be L-shaped... After some cutting and puzzling i managed to make two front and two back pieces... but they are too short. There is a little bit of blue fabric left, so I will use that to make something that looks like it's there on purpose at the bottom of the legs... I also took some pieces of the second fabric to make a band or ribbon (I don't know which word is better in english, the dictionarys were not so helpful) along the side of the leg.

And the jacket? I unfolded the rest of my second fabric - oh, is this it? Jeez Louise! But ok, scrapped the jacket plan, looked through the pattern pile - found a blouse I could use as a base for something. Yay. Now look at how much fabric I had and how I cut the pattern...



Yeah. This is the pattern I used:


And this is the amount of fabric I have left after cutting both pants and blouse...


Wish me good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I would like to see your clothes finished, I love that color.

    ReplyDelete