Sunday, June 3, 2012

Self drafted 1930s inspired cotton top

So, to state the obvious: yesyesyes! I finally got back to making something (without too much additional angst!) Partly because I used scraps from an old project, so I wouldn't be overly bugged if it turned out crappy.

I managed to use pretty much all that was left :) Here it is, my summery rose patterned cotton top!
And nope, my face did not stick to any of the photos, I'm tired and didn't feel like looking for my camera tripod (I haven't seen it since the big separation and move, where the heck is it? Must have put it in a really "good place"... Ironically those aren't that good for very long, right?) I ended up just putting the camera on the sideboard in the sewing room and myself slouching on the nearest footstool, so all closeups. But hey, as long as you can see the top, all is good!
The buttons in the back are vintage real pearl ones. I love these uneven and rugged little precious darlings!

Here's some of my inspiration, early 1930's tops with open back, draping/folding, and short sleeves that aren't really sleeves.
Quite obvious I've been putting off sewing for way too long... This little darling has folds, tucks, darts (or, not really, just one), fake buttons and whatnot. And it's not even supposed to be fitted but loose and flowy (which it is, somewhat). Since I only had very little fabric I decided not to make a pattern but to just draft and drape as I went. Takes a bit more time but turned out fairly well anyway I think! :) My thoughts when I started: let's not make anything complicated... Well that went well! Lol! Anyway, perhaps the curse is broken!



2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic, and such lovely fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with your top! So lovely! Your sewing skills are superb!

    ReplyDelete